Great Start Collaborative (GSC)
The Great Start Collaborative (GSC) is an early childhood community group that uses local data from Cheboygan, Otsego and Presque Isle counties to build and expand early childhood opportunities, along with resources for families. Family voice and engagement are a priority of the GSC, 20% of the GSC membership must consist of parents of young children who participate in early childhood programs. The group is made up of organizations that serve children and families prenatal to age 8 including: businesses, philanthropy, faith-based community, Health and Human Services, Community Mental health, private healthcare including mental health, juvenile and/family court, elementary education staff, preschool including Head Start and GSRP, child care providers, elected officials, community specific non-profits, etc. The Great Start Collaborative is supported by funding from the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start, in collaboration with Cheboygan, Otsego and Presque Isle Educational Service District and community partners.
Goals & Outcomes
Outcome 1 - Children are born healthy.
Outcome 2 - Children are healthy, thriving, and developmentally on track from birth to third grade.
Outcome 3 - Children are developmentally ready to succeed in school at time of school entry.
Outcome 4 - Children are prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
You Might Recognize Some of Our Work!
We love our community! Below are a few projects that we have sponsored in our three local communities. The projects are part of our Strategic Plan, Work Plan and Trusted Advisor Projects which are funded from the Office of Great Start within Michigan Department of Education.
- Click to see a larger version Nature parks and playgrounds Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Cooperation Park, Indian River, Ribbon cutting ceremony for story walk Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Preparing for Project Connect - Onaway Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Otsego Community Library Literacy Kiosk Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Grant from Cheboygan Rotary Club for partnership with PowerBook Bags Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Fall Event at Cheboygan's Children Trail Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Pavillion Dedication Cheboygan Children's Trail Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Grant from the Otsego Foundation Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Project Connect in Cheboygan Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version Lunch and Learn at Flemming Farms Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
- Click to see a larger version STEM Activity with MSU Extension Skip to end of gallery Skip to start of gallery
Why is the Great Start Collaborative Work so Important?
We are glad you asked! COPESD Great Start Collaborative knows the importance of providing the support families need to help their children become productive members of our community. The Great Start Collaborative is all about kids, our kids! Nelson Mandela said it best, “Our children are our greatest treasure. They are our future.” Visit COPESD's Great Start Collaborative website
We Are Looking For Parent Representatives!
Parent representatives bring their knowledge and strengths by providing input during the Great Start Collaborative meetings. Meetings occur 4 times a year and include other families, agencies and organizations that support children 0 to 8 years of age. If you are interested in becoming a parent representative, fill out our interest survey.
Talking is Teaching
Talking is Teaching encourages families to make every moment an opportunity for learning. Talk, Read and Sing to your child throughout the day. The possibilities are endless!
COP ESD's Talking is Teaching website
Talking is Teaching Team with Trusted Advisors partner Corwith Station, Vanderbilt, MI
Want to Advocate for Young Children in Michigan?
Michigan’s Children has information about state policy and programming for young children and families, updates on legislation, and advocacy.
Come Join Us!
All meetings take place at:
Cheboygan, Otsego, Presque Isle Educational Service District
6065 Learning Lane
Indian River, MI 49749.
Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC)
The Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC) are the sister body to the local GSC. The GSPCs are a group of parents and caregivers who volunteer to provide their insight and voice to support the Early Childhood work in their communities.
For more information:
Great Start Collaborative Coordinator
Family Engagement Specialist